Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Runner's high!!

Have you ever felt the runner’s high? I am sure you did!! And if you haven’t…you must go for a long run right now!! You don’t know what you are missing and the best part is that it is totally legal!!

I feel so good after running that it is as if I take a mood-altering drug!! Sometimes it is tough to get out for run after a long day at work and I have no desires of doing it but then I think about how I will feel afterwards and that pushes me to do it. I feel relaxed at first but euphoric right after running. I do believe running is also a powerful aphrodisiac!! A friend told me the other day that her husband is….well…lets say…not “performing well” so my suggestion to her was “ Send him for a run!! He will feel sooooooooo sexy afterwards!!!.” Running makes me feel happy, euphoric and sexy. People who don't run can't really understand how you can feel so euphoric and energized after such phisical effort but  there is a good scientific explanation for this.

It is know that when we run endorphins are released and that they can change our mood. Endorphins are associated with mood changes, and the more endorphins a runner’s body pumps out, the greater the effect. When a person is running they are putting their body under stress. When this happens, stress and pain occur, causing endorphin levels to rise in the brain. People's pain thresholds tend to increase directly following exercise such as a long-distance run and their moods are often elevated. An elevated endorphin level will then produce a mood change. Mood changes are not always positive though, and I have read that when some runners have an increase in endorphins they might experience negative mood changes too. Overall, an increase in the brain's production of endorphins occurs when the body is put under stress such as long distance running, and the endorphins then cause a positive or negative mood change.

Fortunately for me and for the people surrounding me my mood changes are always positive and to be honest I haven’t met anyone who gets in bad mood after running, is this even possible?? How come?!!?
Well... I guess we all know some people who are just incapable to be happy and not even a 50 miles run could make the miracle!!


After all this my conclusion is simple… YOU MUST DATE A RUNNER….YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE MISSING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment