Friday, August 6, 2010

First time pacing!!!

Last weekend I was a pace leader for the ING NYC long training run for 20 miles.  Even though I have paced friends in the past, it was my first time pacing a huge group and people I didn't know. I was really nervous the day before since you never know how your body will feel the next morning . I knew I couldn't stop and I was nervous about not be able to make it.  No matter how many times you have run a long distance every time is a complete new experience and our bodies are sometimes unpredictable. Too much food, too little water, a bad nigh of sleep anything can affect your performance and pace.

We were supposed to be several leaders but I ended up being the only one in my group doing the 20 miles. When I met my group I was surprised of how big it was.  I volunteer to pace the slowest group (@11mm) because I also used this run as one of my long run training for my ultra.   I wasn't really expected so many people at that slow pace but I was wrong. 
As soon as I met them I noticed they were even more nervous than me and I ended up cheering and encouraging them.  A couple of them were veteran marathoners but for most of the group that was their longest run ever. I spoke with them during the whole run, they asked me about my marathons, how do I train, injuries etc etc.  Not everyone were planning on doing the 20 miles, most of the group did between 11 to 16 miles and just a handful ended up running the 20 with me.

I felt very good the whole time and I had to hold back my pace to keep the agreed group pace. During the last 4 miles there were only 5 people running with me and they were really tired and slowing down their pace. I was feeling great and my body was asking me to speed up the last miles but even though they told me to go ahead and not to wait for them because they were not sure they could make it I didn't do it becuase it was my responsability to stay with them until the end, this run was not about me it was about them.

Everyone was so thankful for our help, they really appreciated to have someone pacing and encouraging them. It was a very rewarding experience that gave me more than I was expected. 

The following Tuesday I was in Central Park waiting for a friend to go running when a woman approached me and said "  I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed running with you on Sunday, it was very pleasant and you helped me a lot. I hope you are our leader again next time"...she made me cry !! I felt so so happy that I ran with a huge smile on my face that night.  I was planning to run with a faster group the next training but I think I will now always pace the 11+ group because they really need motivation and help to go through those miles and I felt really useful doing it. I enjoyed so much that I have already google " how to become a running coach" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment