Tuesday, June 14, 2011

And what's next???

I can’t believe that I already ran the ultra…I mean…I had that in my mind for the last 5 months and now it is gone…I feel empty. I worked so hard to accomplish this and now in just 11 hours it was over. It is rewarding and sad at the same time. It was even tough to move the race from the box “ what I am running next” to “ Races Completed”. I think it will take a couple of days or weeks until I get engage with my next challenge and I feel excited again with my training and the new goals.

I need to give a rest to my legs!
Last night I did my first serious run after the ultra and it was really tough! My legs felt perfectly well during the week and I thought I was 100% ready to start training for Berlin but I guess I still need to recover a little more. After just running 1 mile I could feel my legs very tired and heavy. I did 6.5 miles  that felt like another 50 miler!! After all it has just been 9 days since the ultra!!!

I was supposed to start with speed classes this afternoon but I have made some changes to this week schedule so my legs can fully recover. It doesn’t make sense to start a new training season with tired legs. Instead I will ride my bike tonight!! I have a Century coming soon and I haven’t started training yet so it is a win win situation…cross training and put some miles on the bike!!

I have been working on my schedule for the next 4 months so I can accommodate both, running and biking. Of course running is most important for me.
I know I said I couldn’t run another ultra soon as I wanted to focus on my speed for the second half of the year so I can PR in Berlin but the bells are ringing again and I am looking for another 50 miler …..I am addicted!! Not sure whether I will do it or not yet but I have started to look at some 50 miler for the end of the year.
I am very looking forward to another training season!!! It has being just 9 days but I already feel training withdrawal!! I need to go back to the routine and my goals!! I am missing the excitement of training!! Yes I know…it has only been a week!! LOL

Did I tell you I am going to be a mentor in Team for Kids this year? I am very excited about it!!! My first day as a mentor is tomorrow and I have been assigned to help the 4 miler group. I will be the sweeper and run in the back to make sure nobody is left behind and help the people that may struggle with the distance.

And here we go again!! I think I have too many goals for the second half of the year…not to forget that I am also going on vacation to Europe for 2 weeks plus I have a friend visiting and we will be doing some short trips to DC and Boston….it is going to be a busy summer/fall!!!


The next 6 months at a glance:

Berlin !


- Queens half - July

- North Fort Century : 100 miles bike ride - August

- Berlin Marathon – September

- Staten Island Half – October 9!!...just the day after I arrive from Europe  it will be a tough one!

- NYC Marathon- Nov 7th

- Possible another 50 miler??? @ November 19…to be confirmed…


You can do more things that you think you can!!

No comments:

Post a Comment