Sunday, October 3, 2010

Running and weight

I have struggled with my weight my whole life, I have been on diets since I remember but I have never been slim or skinny :( .
I gain weight even just drinking water...my body has never been very gentle with me and in the past when I didn't watch what I was eating I used to gain weight...a lot of weight.  The last time I didn't watch my diet for some months...I ended up with 40 pounds more than my actual weight...yes you read well... Just 6 years ago  I was 40 pounds bigger. After dieting I lost those pounds but I needed to leave in a constant diet to keep my weight....until I started running 2 years ago.

I haven't really lost  much weight but I don't do diet anymore...yes I take care of  what I eat because I need to make sure I eat enough nutrients to keep my body healthy and with energy to run but I am not just eating tomatoes and apples all day!!

At the beginning I  thought that I would lose weight with all of this marathon training but I was obviously mistaken.

I really have a love/hate relationship with the scale. I decided not to weigh myself everyday anymore because it was causing too many highs and lows which is unhealthy. Going up or down  3 pounds on any given week means nothing when you are training,  so long as it's not 3 pounds up and then 3 more pounds up, etc.

I looked online and weight gain weight is very common when you are training, here are some reasons why people gain weight while training:

1. You are building muscle, which is denser than fat: this is always a good thing!! who doesn't love muscles!

2. Your body is learning to store carbohydrates as fuel (glycogen) for your long runs. Those glycogen stores will add more weight. Your body also requires additional water to break down and store the glycogen, so that will also add extra weight.

3. You are maybe increasing your calorie intake without knowing it. I am pretty damn hungry everyday!!!

4. You may be drinking too many calories through sports drinks.

My weight haven't had a big fluctuation since training but although I haven't lose considerable weight my body has changed a lot, my clothes fit better,  people do tell me all the time that I look slender, and  I  feel like I am the most "fit" I've ever been. I think I have gained some muscles and that is why my weight it is almost the same. If I reduce my calories intake a little I might lose a couple of pounds more but training is tough enough to make it more difficult cutting on the food....I am happy to where my body is going, it might be a slow process but I am starting to see the results and I feel and look much better than 20 years ago.

I feel  I can dare any girl in their 20ish to keep up with me!!

I love eating and it feels so good to eat ice-cream without feeling guilty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment