Sunday, October 3, 2010

A little under the weather but still strong!!

Last week I reduced my miles a lot and ran only 20 miles for the week!! that is 18 miles shorter than my schedule because I missed 2 days but I am not worried about it. I've been a little sick, got an infection and  I am taking antibiotics.  I managed to get my runs done on Tuesday and Wednesday but Thursday I started to feel bad and couldn't run the 8 miles I was supposed to do. Just on Saturday I was able to run again and I did 10 miles.  At the beginning I was afraid, being so close to the race make you feel unsecured and after not running for just 2 days and being a like weak for the infection I though I could have lost fitness...crazy!! how come you lose it in just 2 days of not running!! LOL 
May be the fact that the previous Saturday I had a very bad running didn't help and I was really paranoid about it. This is part of the "tapering effect" you think you are loosing fitness, gaining weight, your legs feels heavy...it is all mental!!! may be the only part that it is truth is that you are a little heavy :) because you are eating a lot and not burning that many calories!! ( post to follow about this!!!)


Finally when I went for my run I felt really good!!! LOL  and when I was done with my 10 miles I wanted to keep going, it felt very short but as I am tapering it couldn't be wise to run more. You are not supposed to run more than 8/10 miles in a single run a week before your race because it could take longer to your body to repair any damaged tissues.

I met my friend Sid during my run, he used to be my coach last year in Team for Kids and  is an amazing runner. He is 71 years old!! and yes he can run much faster than me and he holds many US records in different age groups. He told me that it is normal that I got sick because I have put my body under an extreme training and tough it is "broken" and my immune system is weak but since I am very fit I should recover soon with the tapering. 

Today I feel much better but I decided not to run....less is better in this moment and I need to understand that 10 miles less won't make a difference now. Also,  after my run on Saturday I felt much confident about my shape. I will take the antibiotics for a couple of days more and discontinue then by Wednesday as I don't want to run with them in my system, hopefully all the pain will be gone by then or at least it will be very mild and let me run without problems :)...oh yes...the eternal optimistic :)

This week it will be really difficult, I have a lot of work and I also need to relax and rest...mmm...how to accomplish all?!?!?  I  still need to decide my running schedule for this week, I will only do some short runs, no more than 3/4 miles but need to decide if I will take 2 days or 1 day off before the race and if I want to run consecutive days or no. I am flying to Rochester on Friday morning.

I am ready, are you ready???

No comments:

Post a Comment