Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Just 2 days!!

And the day has arrived!! In just 2 days I will be finally running my FIRST ultramarathon. I can't  even believe this moment has arrived. Just 4 months ago I wasn't sure I could go through such tough training and now I am just steps away from my " graduation".

The training wasn't  as physically tough as I thought at the beginning, I really enjoyed it and the only cont I can mentioning is that it is very time consuming!! let you very little space for a personal life after working and training. It is something that definitely I could never do during my busy season at work. I don't have a 9 to 5 job so this was a luxury that I am not sure when I will be able to repeat but there will be always challenges that can be done even with a demanding job.

The most difficult part is not  physical but mental, it is more determination than speed, motivation than strong legs, persistence than ability. It is all about believe in yourself and what you are capable of and have the determination to stick to your decisions and pursuing your goals. I think our attitude and commitment to train  is just a reflection of how we are in  life. When I decide something I go for, I never quit, I work hard to get what I want and I try to do it with a smile and not complaining......there are not space for doubts or fear in my life as there are not space for them in my running... I believe in myself and I trust in my determination to fight for what I want to accomplish but of course this doesn't  always ensure a success but the success for me is to fight until the end and never quit. I don't know what will happen on Saturday but I am very happy with what I have accomplished, just be able to complete the training and  20+ miles long runs every weekend for more than 6 weeks is something I could have never imagined!!

Enough about this, there will be time for this  bla bla bla  after the race!!! I will have time to write about my feelings while resting my legs!!

This week training has been very light since you are not supposed to run hard the week before your race, it is more about loosing your legs and really liberate tension while waiting for the big day. Nothing you can do now will make you faster or give your more endurance. 

On Monday I went for a 4 miles run and I felt really good!! I was planning to just do a relaxed slow run but I found myself running faster than my marathon pace. My legs just wanted to go!! I think they are so ready for the race that they can't wait!! While running I visualized the race...I thought about crossing the the finish line and it was so so so so real that I cried!!!! ! silly right? well that is a proof of  how hard I concentrate when I train, I block everything else.




People keep asking me if I am nervous...and to be honest I am not.  I am excited about the race!! I can't wait to be there running. I have thought about it many times, I have planned everything even though you can't really  know what will happen and most probably your plans will be screwed up  but anyway that help me. I have thought about all the possibilities...be tired and not able to run  or that I might even feel so great that I will do a better time that what I have planned, or that, or this, or everything!!
I think I am just missing a decision tree!!  hahahaha Whatever it is..I am not nervous, actually I feel strangely calm...... I should call this "overconfidence"!!!
 
My only concerns at this point are:

1- my outfit : I wanted run in my shorts and singlet, the one I  used for all my long runs but it is going to be very cold 45F with a hight of 55F so I am not sure what to wear now :(   

2- my Friday night dinner!!!:  I need my homemade food and my hotel room doesn't have stove and  I don't like the idea of eating in a restaurant the night before the race...you know...traditions a runner have!!!  I wonder if I can carry my a tupperware with my pasta in the plane :)) I do have a microwave in the room :)

I am flying to Rochester on Friday morning and from there I will drive to Canandaigua and I am planning to drive the last 20 miles of the race to see what to expect.  I will also go to a social event to meet some of the runners. My motel is just 0.5 miles from the start line so the commute in the morning will be very easy...I need to be there at 6 AM to  warm up a little and start running at 7AM. 

This is my last post before the race......wish me luck!!!!

ps. I am starting to have a cold :( but I won't let it take the control!! I will just need to run with more tissues on my pocket!!! 

Details about the Ultra

Where: Canandaigua, NY - 1 loop around the beautiful lake

Start time: 7AM

Course:  road loop around the most beautiful Finger Lake in Western New York. Scenic roads, wineries and peak fall foliage. Several major climbs including locally famous Bopple Hill.  

Total participants: 92 

Female runners: just 22

Youngest runner: 27 years old

Oldest runner: 67 years old 

Bib number: Lucky 121 !!




Elevation Chart
 I WILL DO IT, I WILL DO IT....OH YEAH...I WILL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Have a great race! You are so ready and it will be a wonderful day! I ran Twin Cities marathon in Minneapolis last weekend and the weather was cool, although very sunny. I wore my planned outfit of shorts and singlet. I added arm warmers and gloves. I wore a long sleeved t shirt before the start that I threw away when we started running.
    You're an inspiration! I'll be waiting for your results!
    DianeZ

    ReplyDelete