Sunday, September 19, 2010

Last very long run!!

This week I hit one of the peaks in my running training ....60 miles for the week!! After running 31 miles the previous weekend I took a couple of days off to recover and then I ran 5 consecutive days including today when I ran my last very long run training, 26 miles!!!

During the week my runs averaged 8 miles and yesterday ,Saturday I did 12. The idea was to be tired for today. Yes you are reading right, I wanted to be tired for my long run!! why?? well, I know I can run 26 miles if I am not tired but I need to know if I can keep running when my legs are exhausted because that is what will happen in the middle of my 50 miles, I will be tired may be around mile 26/31 and I will need to keep running for another 20 miles !!

Today I ran 20 of the 26 miles with my running group, we went to Palisades in NJ  and again I needed to wake up very early for a weekend!!!

We started at the GWB bus terminal and ran in the pedestrian/bike path over the GWB. Once in NJ we  head onto Henry Hudson Drive. Henry Hudson Drive parallels the Hudson River to the Park Headquarters. Ten miles out-and-back on rolling, paved roads with several tough hills!! and when I say several and tough....just multiply whatever you are imagining by 3!!! Holly Molly, I have never run such a hilly course before, it makes Central Park looks totally flat!!!

Despite of the hill It was an amazing run and my first time running in Palisades.

I was running with a group of 4 women and 3 men who turned around before the end while the "ladies" did all the way to the top!!! GO GIRLS!!  It was really hilly!! did I mention it already??? hahahaha.... When we arrived to the top, 10 miles from our starting point, we turned back to complete the 20 miles. The Flyers did a great job with the aid stations and we had water and Gatorade every 5 miles and at the finish too.  Everyone was really happy after the 20 miles and starting to relax but I still had 6 more miles to run and I was really tired!!!

I had a very bad pain in my quadriceps, it was as if I could feel them broken in pieces but anyway after eating a cereal bar and drinking some water I decided that I wanted to complete my run.

I was in 179th Street and Broadway and I need to run to the Upper East Side!! I wasn't really sure where I was going to run since I am not that familiar with that area!!! I knew I had to go east and down so I found my way to a nice street and just stayed there till I reached Central Park. To be honest, in some places I was a little scared  and thinking that not even my Spanish could help me!!!   I ran through a group of guys and well...they were smoking something that I couldn't call cigars!!!  My legs were really sore, every step hurt me really bad but I needed to keep going!! When I finally arrived to 110th and saw  Central Park I felt safe and at home!!!

Once at home I took and ice bath and stuffed my face with food!!!!  I wasn't able to do anything else the rest of the day and  still now my quadriceps are really hurting me.  I wonder how I will feel tomorrow and how I will walk!!!!

The good news is that the taper has started and even though I still need to run 5 days a week and some of the runs will be 12 to 16 miles I don't have to do any other 20+ run  plus the cool weather we have these days I won't need to wake up at 5 AM on weekends to go running!!!

Now it is time to maintain, heal and rest for the big day!!! just 3 weeks away and hopefully all my training will pay off. I have done the training and  now I have to conquer distance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE THIS, I HAVE THIS, I HAVE THIS!!!!

1 comment: