Sunday, September 12, 2010

31 Miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And the day finally arrived and guess what?? it wasn't as tough as I imagined!!!!! Let me start saying that I DID IT!!!!  31 miles on my pocket and a big confidence-booster for my ultra. To be honest I thought it was going to be harder but seems that all my training is paying off and I am getting used to run long distances. Also I have to give a huge part of the credit to my rest the previous week, I think resting is as important as training to give your body time to heal.

I knew my last year Team was running their 20 miles run and I could join them for part of my run but I decided that the best thing for me to do was to run alone and just, if needed, make use if their water/Gatorade aid stations. Most probably I will be running alone the 50 miles so I need to be mentally prepared for that. I need to know how to be strong by myself and give me the motivation needed to finish the 50 miles.

I was planning to start running around 6AM since I knew it could take me 6 or more hours to do it. I woke up at 5 AM, yes on a Saturday!!!  and got ready to start running at 6 but it was way too dark and I decided to wait a little. I was planning on running in the East Side River Esplanade and I know some homeless sleep  there at night so I didn't feel it could be safe to go out in the dark.  By 6:30 the sunrise was here and I was ready to go.  The adventure started at 96th and East River heading downtown. As usually, by mile 3 I was still thinking I was going to die and how could I ever possible finish 31 miles....I always have that felling!!! it takes me 5/6 miles on my long runs to really be confident about finishing it! I couldn't ask for a better weather for this run, no humidity and sunny but not very hot. I got to Brooklyn Bridge and I knew that from there I could meet many people I know on road.

I love running in Battery Park, the view is nice and if you are lucky you can feel a breeze from the river. From there I started to go up on the Westside Highway. On my way saw some Team for Kids groups and also some Flyers. It was nice to exchange greetings with them and it is always good to have the motivation of not stopping as someone could see you walking!! hahaha Well, it is not a secret...I don't like walking while running and I am too proud to allow someone to see me walking!!

My goal was to try to keep at least a 11 minute mile pace since it was the first time running that distance and I didn't want to push it too much. I am a good pacer and I always keep my run steady, a little thanks to my Garmin and a lot thanks to my body that knows how to pace itself. The way up to GW Bridge was nice, I was feeling strong and confident, I knew I was going to make it, I had no doubts I was ready for that. Steady and easy mile after mile....

Mile 20: Lighthouse!!! I like that little red one!!! It was nice to make it there because now it was just an 11 mile run!!! how many times have I run 11 miles?? I know I can run 11 miles...keep going!!! - I told myself . I turned back and the plan was running until 72nd street where the TFK people where and from there run down half of the miles I was missing and back. I wanted to finish at 72nd since it is easy to head home from there.

Mile 22: I am not seeing any wall yet!!! LOL...you know...people says that runners "hit" the wall around mile 20/22 :) I guess when you have run many 20 miles runs the wall moves further!!! I think around here was where I met one of my last year coaches, Sid, he is 70 or 72 years old and can run faster than you or me!!!  He is still running representing US in his age group in international championships. Last year he got a medal in the last games and he is still the holder of some records in other age groups....he is just amazing!! and loves teaching you all he knows!!! As soon as he saw me he made me stop and hugged me asking "how many miles today?? you have graduated from the marathon running and are now an endurance runner!!!"

Mile 25 and change: I got to the TFK final stop and grab some Gatorade from them, I was tired and everyone else were already stretching and getting ready to go home, they ran 20 miles so they were done but I still had 6 more miles to go!!!

Mile 29: I saw Jon, a fellow runner from my running group, he was running the other way and when I saw him I started screaming..." I am  in my 29!!!!" I was so happy that I really needed to tell someone!!! hahaha...I started jumping and cheering myself while Jon looked kinda " what?? did you just say 29?" lol

Mile 30: I am so doing this!!! it is just there around the corner!!!  I was so happy that I ran the last mile with a huge smile on my face :))

Mile 31: I am DONE!!! I couldn't really believe I did it and the best part was that I was still feeling so good!!!

I stretched my legs and talked to some of my former coaches, they were all asking how I was feeling and how my training was going.  The final time was 5:30 hours...much better than what I planned and I didn't walk at all, just made the regular stops to refill my bottle with water.  I was so hungry that I just took a cab home also because I wanted to get into my ice bath as soon as possible.

The rest of the day I felt pretty good, tired of course but  my legs were not sore. I was more concerned about the next morning, it is always worst 1 or 2 days after. When I woke up on Sunday I was afraid to stand up from my bed as I still remember the pain after my first marathon last year and how difficult was to walk the next day....took me 15 minutes to stand up from bed and when I finally did...voila...perfect...no sore, no pain, nothing!!!

Just one more very long run next weekend and tapering will start!!! can't wait but at the same time that means that race day is closer!!!

I WILL DO IT, I WILL DO IT, I WILL DO IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment