Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Training Report # 2

As promised here is my second training update!!

On Tuesday I went for a fast 4 miles loop at Central Park. It was supposed to be my first time running in the pavement in a long long time.  I was going to run a race on Saturday so I thought I needed to practice and test how “slow” I got for not doing any speed work in months…I started at a 8 minute pace (what it is fast for me) and I was feeling really good…I kept it for 2 miles and my breathing and hip were feeling great.

I was really happy since I haven't run that fast in a long time but suddenly I felt a sharp and strong pain in my lower leg around the Achilles tendon and in the same place I thought I had a cramp last weekend. The pain was so strong that I needed to slow down my pace to almost 11 minutes for the last 2 miles...finally I limped back home…God I was so pissed off!! I was scared about having a new injury now that my hip was starting to feel normal again.

The next 2 days  the pain was horrible and I was limping. I rest and  started a research about the pain I was feeling…yes..I am not going to the doctor anymore…they know NOTHING about running injuries!! I never liked to go to doctors and I rarely went in my life so no reason to change now….after some research and homemade tests I arrived to the conclusion that I didn’t break my Achilles tendon ….Thanks GOD!! and that I just might have some inflammation of it.

I started to take Aleve, rest, massage with a pain reliever cream and ice every 2 hours!! I bought a nice ice path I was wearing around the office all day…I think my co-workers are getting used to see me limping, icing, wearing flats because I have blisters, etc….LOL...I even have the feeling  that they like to stop by and speak about my injuries!! LOL.

The origin of the pain is still a mystery but by Saturday the pain was almost gone and today it feels almost normal again….I have to admit I was really scared of having another injury right now.

On Saturday I ran 4 miles before the race then I ran the 4 miles race and after that I kept running for another 7 miles. Even though my time was slower than my last year PR (8:13 mpm) in the same race, I am very happy with the result since I didn't really push it that much (last year I pushed so hard that I couldn't even breath at the end)  and I was still able to do 8:50 mpm what it is not that bad considering the circumstances and  it was better that  what I expected.

Sunday I went for a 10 miles run but ended up doing just 9 miles. I am pretty good running in the heat and I think  heat  shouldn't be an excuse....a good runner must be able to run in any weather but I must confess something that happened to me on Saturday....

I got chaffed for first time in my life!! it was so hot  that I chaffed really bad and in several places as my stomach and my...mmm... should I say it or no? well...my chest!! I was all red as having sunburn all over my boobs ...it was really painful ...so Sunday when I was running I was feeling that I was chaffing again so I stopped...LOL...You can see in the picture my stomach...I can't show the other "parts" but let me tell you they look even worst!! ....time to use more anti chafe cream !!

My legs are feeling great and I am very excited about running the ultra...if I just were able to wake up early and go running in the morning!! I have really tried but it is soooo difficult for me to do it....I will try again this week because I do need to have my evenings free :)

Keep running, I will do the same!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment