Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Easter Marathon long training run

Last weekend I ran the Easter Marathon in Van Cortland Park. If you have run there you know how hilly it is!!  The marathon was organized by "The Holiday Marathons " , a group  that wanted to promote healthier habits on holidays and started these races. They wanted to bring together the local running community and promote exercise, nature and healthier habits instead of BBQ on holidays. They don't charge you a fee, rather the races are on a donation based system.

You can run a 10K, a half marathon, a marathon...or what ever you want!! There are not "chips" instead you track your own time and when you finish you write it down in a book :) ...but please don't cheat!!

This was my last long run before Bear Mountain and a major test for my "trail" skills since I don't get to run in trails as much as I should. 

The race gave me the opportunity to  practice the feeling of an ultra...there were only 1 aid station every 6 miles which means that you need to carry your own water and  also food. They were offering bananas and other food but not gatorate so you needed to carry it too. Quantities were also limited and I only got to get 1 banana at the end of the 2nd loop :(  everything else was gone when I finished the 3er loop.

1st Loop:  I forgot to mention that Scott Jurek was running :) so I had this little dilemma...Start slow as I always plan or....STALK Scott and try to run beside him....:)  I was a lucky girl and he started slow two...so I didn't need to stalk him....5 minutes after we started  he was running just beside me ...seriously!! I didn't stalk him!!  I was really focus on my run so I didn't even speak to him....everyone was asking questions/tips and I just listened. I was a very good girl!!!.
Half the way in the loop I started running with Coach Sid ( if you don't know Sid...well you are not a runner!! I will "give you Sid" soon). We ran together the rest of the loop and he was all the time making sure I was doing ok!!  First loop done and I feel good but it is getting a little hot!!! 

2nd Loop: the disadvantage of running loops is that you know what it is coming and you can feel a little discouraged about it...paradoxically this is also the advantage!! Once you know the hills you know when to push and when to keep your energy! I ran the 2nd Loop mainly alone but I could see other 4 guys that were running a very similar pace to me and we were passing each other all the time. There were still many people in the loop as many were doing the half  (2 loops). Scott was doing the half but he stopped  for pictures  after the first loop so now he was behind me....not for long though.....I have to admit that it is a pleasure to see him running...he knows what he is doing and the way he runs the uphills and downhills is just fantastic!!

I was running in a very technical downhill (see picture) when he passed me so fast and in such a gorgeous way that I needed to stop just to watch him going all the way down....wow..."that is how you do it!!" 

By the end of the 2nd loop I was still feeling strong and without wasting a minute I just refilled my water and kept running...missing all the fun with Scott again :( he was shirtless and taking pictures with everyone !! but I had work to do so I didn't stop!!!!! I kept running.

3er Loop:  I was running with this guys who was also training for Bear Mountain and we were running a very similar pace....pacing each other time to time and running together others. Anyway, I was decided to beat him :)....yeap when you are running distance and you are alone in the middle of nowhere...you need every motivation you can find!! and mine was to beat this guy! LOL 

I was feeling tired and knew the hills and the heat were taking a lot of my energy.  My bottle was empty half way in the loop and I knew there was no more water for the next 3 miles....:(   It was a good practice tough .....I took some electrolytes, chewed a newton and kept running but now I started to do some walking breaks in the uphills.  It even sounds as a "sin"  ...yes I did "walk"!! I still feel weird about the fact of walking during ultras but it is part of the game and you also need to practice it.

For most runners walking could be considered as a "weakness" but in some cases, like it or not, it is necessary. I don't really like the idea but I am not in the level where I can run a complete ultra without walking, nevertheless I try to keep my walking to the minimum. I have to admit that it is a powerful recovery technique for me...with just a couple of minutes walking I can revert a serious fatigue. It does work.  I finished the 3er loop behind the guy, but one loop is not the battle!!!  There were very few people left after the 3rd loop and there were not more food :(

4th Loop: I was tired and it was ridiculous hot for a day that was supposed to rain :( . Some people decided not to keep running and for a moment I wondered myself whether I should stop too but I decided to keep running because I knew that I needed to feel confident for the race...If I hadn't finish it I could be now wondering whether I am able to run next weekend or no. It is all part of the game....we were not expected that weather as you don't know what it is going to happen on race day so ...you need to keep going!! Also I was tired because that was my 4 consecutive weekend running 20+ miles and my legs were really tired...again, this is what a training for an ultramarathon is about "learning how to keep running on tired legs!!!" This loop was very challenging in many ways...not only I was tired but there were only a few people running so you were practically running alone, they started to take out the marks so in the middle of the  loop I found no marks of the trail and needed to use my memory and orientation to get to the finish line...I even stopped a couple of time because I wasn't sure about the next turn....good practice though!!

After  2 miles in the loop I passed my "friend" the guy I was competing against LOL...and I never saw him again until the finish line ( he finished 10 minutes after me)!!

I am getting smartest about keeping my energy and during the last loop I ran much faster than the 2nd and 3rd loop I passed some people and I didn't walk that much in the hills. The mission was accomplished and I felt good and strong at the end.

Last week my legs were really tired and my runs were slow, I even kept one day of running and I bike instead. I am sure I will recover for the race.  I know my body and I just need a couple of days and good food to be ok again. Furthermore, I went biking today and  I can now feel my legs are pretty loose. 

This week I will take it easy and do just 2 easy more runs and will try not to do any  other activity!! I need my energy for Saturday!!! 

The challenge is getting mentally prepared because as I always say...

YOU FIRST NEED TO CROSS THE FINISH LINE WITH YOUR MIND  THEN YOUR BODY WILL FOLLOW!!!!


I CAN DO IT!!  I WILL DO IT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment