Thursday, December 29, 2011

Bye bye 2011....it was a great running year!!

I am so original that I have been doing my balance of the year!!! LOL...I am sure this is a very original idea right??.......After carefully thinking about it I am really happy with the balance.

My youngest follower!!
I only have one of my goals still pending (a sub 2 half marathon) but I have achieved all the other goals I had for the year!! woohooo....at least now I have already one goal for 2013 :)...it is always good to keep something to be looking forward for...(this is a nice way to say it !!). I have run 3 marathons, one 50K, one 50 miler, 5 half marathons and other races...doesn't seem a lot but I am happy it is much more that the previous year......and now I feel I even need to do much more in 2013!!!

After the NYC marathon last November I haven't been running that much,  may be just 3 times!! yes really!! Two weeks after the marathon I ran 12 miles with some friends that were running an ultramarathon  and in someway and started to have a horrible pain in my hip during that run.  

The day  after that I went on vacation to Argentina, to visit my family, and I was hoping to get some runs done there since it was spring and I was missing the warm weather. I rested for a couple of days and when the pain was gone I went for a short run. I only did 4 miles but after that I had such a horrible pain that was even difficult to walk.  I decided to take the rest of my vacation easy and I didn't run at all for the next 2 weeks.

Back in NY  and with no signal of hip pain I decided to go for run....I did 6 miles and that afternoon I couldn't even walk again.  I had a party that night and walking with high heels were really painful. 

The pain stayed with me constantly for the rest of week and not even anti inflammatories helped.

You might wonder what the doctor said? ..well...I didn't go... :)....I know what I have and I know what they will tell me....I took another 2 weeks off, no running at all and just doing some training on the stairs (oh...I got into the Empire State Building run up!!!)....the pain was still there...

I got obsessed again doing research about osteoarthritis, treatments, supplements etc...I am really scared about not be able to be as active as I am now......always the same conclusion....it is not proved that running can make it worst but it is not recommended and in general everyone says that people with osteoarthritis eventually has to stop running as the pain is really strong.  

Berlin
Also,  I have read that as you are loosing  cartilage between your joints the movements are less smooth and you also lose flexibility to move your legs...dammit...I am already slow enough and now I am loosing movements!!! ##@@#&$#@$%&$@

Anyway...I won't let this to interfere with my running dreams...(I hate people that complains all the time)  ....I have been running with this pain for the whole year and I am glad I have never used it as an excuse...if you can't handle it...go home!! LOL... but stop using things as excuses!! That is my motto!

I started to feel better this week and since Sunday I have been able to exercise 4 consecutive days and my pain is not that bad...it is even less every time I run (knocking wood)....hopefully I will be back in full training soon!!! God that I miss that!!!
Running with Bart Yasso!
After 2 vacations, post marathon blues, the holidays and not being able to run...well....lets just say that I have started an strict diet this week!!!!

I have signed for 2 races in January, before my time off,  so  I am not sure I will have enough time to train for them but I might just do them anyway and have fun!! 

I am having a hard time deciding which marathons/ultramarathons I want to do next year...I do hate my busy season at work because most of the races I really want to do are a couple of weeks after my busy season so I know I won't have enough time to train for them...I need to think a little more about what I will do next year...I still have 2 days until 2013!!! but I better decide soon as races are filling out  so fast now...even ultras!!! unbelievable!!! I was looking at one 100 miler @ July...and it is already full!!! I couldn't believe it...more than 350 people signed up already....and there is a waiting list....yeah a waiting list for a 100 miler!!!  ARE WE ALL CRAZY!!!! HAHA

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND HAPPY RUNNING MY FRIENDS!!

1 comment:

  1. a YEAR and 2 days until 2013! It is only going to be 2012. :) Don't take a year away from me... haha.

    Hope your hip feels better!

    ReplyDelete